May 21, 2007

Classroom Blogging

Being on the outside looking in, I can see how blogging can affect student learning. Blogging gives students an audience. They will be excited about writing for a purpose. When they get feedback, they only want to respond with more. When they know that a wider audience will be reading their posts, they want to make it more interesting, they think before choosing their words. They can even leave their own opinions anonymously on a certain topic and not feel they have to conform with the majority. I have seen a great way to use a blog. Many classrooms want to correspond with different classrooms in their state, nation, or even internationally. This gives them a way to do that without having an e-mail address to write back and forth to. It is almost real time (owner of the blog will be able to see what is written before it is posted, in most cases). I think this is a great way to correspond with other students around the world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Denise,

Welcome to the edu-blogosphere. I agree the best way to learn about the educational value of a tool it to use the tool. I wish you well in your course this summer.

Betrus said...

Denise,
I agree that having immediate feedback is a real motivator for students. I also think it provides authentic reasons to use literacy. Reading and writing can be used to communicate and learn. I never realized that blogs made this communication easier by eliminating the email address. Great thinking. I am really looking forward to having my students use blogs next year to get in touch with other students.

Carol said...

I like the idea of connecting students from around the world with a blog. What fun would it be to have penpal classes connect with each other and share their learning. Technology excites students and the more students use it as a tool, the more learning that takes place.